Wednesday, August 1, 2012

I cannot pinpoint priorities unless I am fully briefed on all subjects: Sushil Kumar Shinde, Home Minister!




What are your priorities as the new home minister?
I cannot pinpoint my priorities unless I am fully briefed on all subjects and issues concerning the ministry. There are many problems and challenges to be handled by the Union home ministry: terrorism, communalism, Naxalism and insurgency in the northeast.

I feel terrorism and Left-wing extremism are the biggest concerns facing the country. I have asked my officers for a detailed report on each of the subjects. It is only then that I can be clear about my priority areas as the home minister.

Do you think your experience as a chief minister will help you in resolving the state's concerns over the structure and powers of the proposed National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC)?

I am aware of what has happened so far on the NCTC proposal, especially the concerns of several chief ministers on some of its provisions. All I can say is that ours is a federal country.

All the chief ministers, whichever party they belong to, and I, irrespective of my political affiliation, must work by consensus as we belong to one country. A cordial relationship must be maintained between the Centre and states. After all, we are not enemies but partners.

Will you elaborate on the discussions you had through the day with ministers of state for home, senior MHA officials and chief of central police organisation?
The meetings were essentially an exercise in familiarising myself with the working of the home ministry and getting briefed on matters handled by it.

Do you think the Gandhi family's confidence in you was instrumental in your elevation as the home minister?
Of course! It requires political will to appoint someone from the weaker sections or minorities as the home minister of the country. The Gandhis have shown that political will by appointing me, a Dalit, in this key ministry. This political will was also evident when Buta Singh was earlier chosen for the same job.

No comments:

Post a Comment